Image Map

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

CTB 2014 - The Little Paris Kitchen

I can't believe that we are already in the final days of July! Where has this summer gone? Last summer was so different from this one. I was unemployed, enjoying a summer of job hunting and severance checks. Each day was long and filled with 6-mile runs, trips to Manhattan and working on my blogs.

This summer I'm working at a new company, traveling constantly and rarely getting into the kitchen. I'm so far behind on my 2014 challenge, I'll have to make something from two cookbooks each day just to make it by the end of the year!


In an effort to make a little headway on my Cook the Books challenge, I made dinner from three different cookbooks last week.  Today, we start off with the side dish - Asperges a la Parisienne from Rachel Khoo.

I first saw Rachel Khoo, on The Cooking Channel, years ago. Her simple and elegant way in the kitchen made me want to pick up, move to Paris, and cook in a tiny kitchen too. When I saw that she had a cookbook out, I knew I just had to have it.  The pages are filled with very simple and beautiful French recipes and some of the most pretty pictures around. She has a new cookbook out - "Sweet and Savory Pates." I'm tempted to pick it up, since this first book has been so perfect. Though I'm not sure how much pate I need in my life!


If you are looking for a simple and semi-light side dish for your dinner this week, pick up some asparagus and heavy cream. You probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!




One Year Ago: Apricot Soda
Two Years Ago: Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas
Three Years Ago: Peanut Brittle
Four Years Ago: Wilde Family Buffalo Wing Sauce


Asperges a la parisienne
Mildly adapted from The Little Paris Kitchen

1 pound asparagus

2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Ina large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add flour and stir with a whisk until a smooth paste is formed. Continue beating until the mixture (roux) takes on a golden brown color. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the chicken stock.

Return to the heat and whisk continuously as the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the sauce simmers, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until asparagus is tender and bright green.  Remove from the water and set on a serving plate.

Once sauce is thickened, remove pan from the heat. Add heavy cream and egg yolks, whisk until smooth.  Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over asparagus with a spoon and enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails