Image Map

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Vanilla Soda & Ice Cream Floats

Carbonate everything!


Ever since I got my soda siphon at the flea market, I've been making so many different homemade sodas!  I seriously want to carbonate everything.  Pretty much anything I can pour into the siphon has a chance of being carbonated.  Except milk, I'm pretty sure that would be just weird.


Having an endless array of soda flavors also gives me endless possibilities of ice cream float flavors!  Which is exactly what I had in mind when I prepared this all natural vanilla soda.


Sure, you could buy some cream soda from the store.  Or you could quickly make this vanilla soda from all natural flavors!  It's seriously simple too.  All you need is a vanilla bean and some palm sugar.  Sure, palm sugar is a specialty ingredient (you can find it in my aStore on the bottom right!), but it gives this soda an distinct flavor.


Make it.  Pour it over ice cream.  Enjoy in a comfy spot outdoors.  Do it do it do it!


One Year Ago: Homemade Mozzarella Cheese
Two Years Ago: Orange Vinaigrette Dressing
Three Years Ago: Spanish Chicken with Mustard-Green Onion Sauce

Vanilla Soda
Adapted from Homemade Soda

This soda is amazing on its own or paired along with a scoop of ice cream!  I added two scoops of black raspberry ice cream and the vanilla flavor of the soda paired really well with the berry ice cream.  Coconut palm sugar is one of those sometimes tough to find ingredients.  Check your local Asian foods market or get it online.  I use it in some of my Thai recipes too, so a huge bag doesn't go to waste.

3/4 cup water
1/2 vanilla bean, split down the center
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Let simmer until the volume is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5-10 minutes.  Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.  Filter vanilla syrup through fine cheesecloth and choose your method for carbonation.

With Seltzer

1 3/4 tablespoons vanilla syrup
1 1/3 cups bottled seltzer

Pour vanilla syrup into a glass.  Add seltzer and stir until blended.

With a Siphon

1 batch vanilla syrup
4 cups cold water

Pour vanilla syrup into siphon and top off with water.  Close siphon and shake to combine.  Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour (chilled water carbonates better).  Carbonate according to your siphons directions.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails