Image Map

Monday, January 31, 2011

Buttermilk Cornbread

It’s the end of healthy January month, how did you do? Were you eating your vegetables and getting more exercise? I have to be truthful with you. While I’ve been posting all of these good for you, lower calories recipes for you, I’ve been secretly stockpiling deliciously evil, high fat treats. I know, I’m terrible. You’re in for a dangerous February!



Along with those sneaky desserts, I’ve been eating lots of soup. It’s been that kind of winter in the Northeast, a soup-eating winter. In fact there is another weather front heading for us tonight! The television keeps warning me about it every fifteen minutes. Warning, warning! Snow is coming! Then some ice, lots and lots of ice! Then you’re going to fall down tomorrow morning on your walk into work. Thank you television, now I know to wrap myself in plastic and pillows before I leave for work in the morning.


While the soup has been nothing spectacular, recipes still in the works, I do have some amazing cornbread to share with you. I have tried a lot of cornbread recipes, because nothing is better with soup. They are all different, too bland, too sweet, to bicarby (note: use baking powder when directed, not baking soda). This has become my favorite, it goes perfectly with chili. It’s best right out of the oven, crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle. Now go warm up and watch the snow come down.

Buttermilk Cornbread
Adapted From The Bread Bible
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 large egg
¼ cup egg whites
1 cup buttermilk
4 tbsp melted butter

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together egg, egg whites, buttermilk and butter. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just blended, about 15 to 20 strokes.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes and cut into wedges.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails